Fashion Week Trends in Crafting - Embossing on Chipboard, Ribbons, Photos, in Ombre and in Shades of Gray

It’s Fashion Week!

I love when each season’s new trends, colors, designs and designers come out in grand scale across the globe. I find myself gasping at how fantastic fashions come together, and I itch to push my own talents and skill as I’m inspired by couture.

This month, from “7 Girls & a Smoking Gun”, we put our designers on the runway with a scale of projects fit for every size of crafty comfort levels.



Can you find the inspiring items in this Fashion Week collage? You can find the closeups on my pinterest boards.


AMY PRIOR
My task this month for our team post was to emboss chipboard and use on a layout or card. I love embossing on my chipboard and I especially love altering them to create more texture. 
  
 






To decorate the Signpost for instance, I have sprayed with a light coat of White Mr Huey's Spray. I then layer a coating of my chosen crackle paints and allow to dry naturally. Once the crackle paint is dry, you will notice that majority of the crackle is lifting because of the Mr Huey's that we originally sprayed on the surface.

Just tip the excess into the bin and come back to your desk to finish off the layering. Next up is some embossing and over the brown crackle, I have used Suzy West Pepper WOW Powder and then over the white, I have used Bright Opaque White WOW Powder. Be really gently when applying the ink or you will lose all of your crackles. Now that the embossing powder has been heat set, the fabulous partially crackled effect is secure and you can then add shadowing using other mediums.




I went with some Glimmer Glaze and some Perfect Pearls sprays over the top just to let it seep into those cracks and create some shadows and a more aged effect. Last but not least, I have inked the top roughly with some Archival Black Ink and voila! A very cool distressed signpost!






  •  WOW Embossing Powders Used: Cable Car Red, Bay Area Blue, Tea Garden Green, Pepper, Black Glint, Gold Rich Ultra High, Copper Ultra High, Platinum Sparkle, Opaque Bright White, Metalline Green & Azure Blue.
  • Other Products Used: Prima Craftsman Collection Papers & Elements, Tim Holtz Idea-ology assorted, Handmade Halo Charms & Buttons, Mr Hueys Chevron Mask, A2Z Scraplets Chipboard Signpost & Chipboard Barbed Wire, Adhesive backed Metal Sheets, Tim Holtz Embossing Folder, Spellbinders Embossing Folder, Tim Holtz Crackle Paint Picket Fence White & Vintage Photo, Various Lindys Stamp Gang Starburst Stain Sprays & Moonshadow Mists, Various Perfect Pearls Mists, Black Archival Ink, White Mr Hueys Spray & Various Glimmer Glazes.


I love how the embossing frames the photo! 

It was really tricky not to burn the photo when embossing. You could print photos on cardstock or canvas for a background with lower melting points, but it does work on photo paper if you're careful. 

I have used a mask for the image and then used our lovely white wow embossing powder.  Then lots of fussy cutting and bling.  I made the birds and flowers with paper clay.  

WOW EMBOSSING POWDERS:  [WOW! Collection] - Opaque White


Irit used this trendy ombre technique- same color embossing from the light to dark . She worked with Opaque white, 2 pinks and Cable red with Flowers stamp. Irit also used Cable red to cover the chipboard plate with 3-4 layers. 
·             
  •  WOW EMBOSSING POWDERS:  [Suzy West Collection - By the Bay] Cable Car Red, [Suzy West Collection - Candy Counter] Whirly Pop, [WOW! Collection] – Qpaque White, Pastel Pink


Here is my layout using the embossed ribbon. I used just a plain cream twill that is 1.5" wide and  the loop boarder stamp from the Gratitude set and Earthtone Pepper embossing powder. What an easy and great idea.I will definitely be doing more of this on future projects!!



  • WOW Embossing Powders: [Suzy West Collection – Pantry] Earthtone Pepper
  • WOW Stamp Sets Used: StampSet2 – Gratitude




My latest craze is early 20th Century English-anything, and I saw elements of this period on the runway in bold gold and black. The inspiration led me to create my own background paper with WOW!'s Vintage stamp set. 

I lined up a grid with a ruler and light pencil on a light blue background paper. Then I stamped chairs with gold ink and rose bushels in black ink in  an alternate pattern on the grid cross sections. You can gently erase the lines when all the stamps are down and the ink is dry.



I had a kraft tag I embossed and a a Rose cabuchon made from the black embossing powder. These were elements of our make-n-take in the booth at CHA 2012 Chicago. The tag is stamped with black embossing powder and our Vintage Wallpaper stamp. Our good friend, Marion at Sugar & Spice has a YouTube video here demonstrating how to make the Cabuchons.



Here's the final layout with Grandma & Grandpa (my Inang & Tatang). I added a sentiment that I stamped and embossed with the "Joy" and a Frame stamp from another set. The frame was embossed with Skyline Grey and Joy was embossed with Whirly Pop.




  • WOW EMBOSSING POWDERS: [ Suzy West Collection-By The Bay] Skyline Gray, [Suzy West Collection – Candy Counter] Whirlypop,[Wow! Collection] Regular Black
  • WOW Stamp Sets Used: StampSet14 - Vintage 1928, StampSet15 - Simply Amazing (frame)
  • Other: Tsukineko Brillance Ink Pad in Galaxy Gold, Versafine Ink in Onyx Black, Versamark Watermark Ink, K&Company and Prima flower embellishments



ERIKA TAYLOR
Almost as hot as the bestseller, "Fifty Shades of Grey", Erika previews next month’s team blog assignment with this delicious layout. She uses a base palette of Grays and accessorizes the page with bold colors of gold, orange and purple for a high-end feeling Halloween layout.






WOW EMBOSSING POWDERS: [ Suzy West Collection-By The Bay] Presidio Purple, [Suzy West Collection – Candy Counter] Berrylicious

By the way, I haven't personally read the book, "Fifty Shades of Grey". I'm not sure I will. Did you know if was originally fan fiction based on "Twilight"? At first, I thought it Jasper Fforde's "Shades of Grey". I love Jasper Fforde. SOOoooo NOT the same...story. 

I hope we tapped into your inner designer with today's wardrobe of projects. Let us know what you came up with your powders. 
  
For more fabulous projects, please visit our blogs!
Click Here to see more Shades of Color at Erika’s blog, Taylord Concepts.
Click Here to see where in the world is Irit at Irit Shalom’s Designs.
Click Here to see what Anne is crafting up at Anniebee’s Craft Room. 
Click Here to see what's sparkling at Amy’s blog.
Click Here to see today's memory from Sherrie at Each Days Memories. 
Click Here to see Jen’s latest find on eBay and how she crafts with it.
Click Here to see Donna’s late night creations down under with WOW! Embossing powders.

Comments